Monday, October 19, 2009

a Tale of Two Tales

I want to explore a concept in this blog post. To do this I am going to tell you two short stories (they aren’t good stories so don’t get your hopes up) and then try to connect them and bring everything together at the end.

James stepped out of the backseat of the car. He was at a farmers market in downtown Duncan. It was Sunday. He had never been to this place before but he felt safe as he walked through the aisles. The market sold health food. It was a place for people who cared about their bodies. James walked around the store with his friend. They talked, they laughed, and then they left.

James stepped out of the backseat of the van. He was at an old train station. It was still Sunday but it was now dark outside. He felt a little on edge. The park was full of people who were different from him. It had been a while since he had heard some of the words that were coming out of their mouths. The words showed brokenness, brokenness far beyond anything James had experienced or liked to imagine. The only store that was open was the liquor store. It was a place for people who didn’t care much about their bodies. James walked around with friends and strangers, he saw pain and brokenness, but he also saw prayer and hope. James left, but the way he saw the world changed a little as he went.

The concept I want to talk about is seeing the world as God see’s it.

Both of these stories happened at the same location. The market and the liquor store were beside each other.

I found it crazy how two completely different worlds could exist at the same place. And was ashamed that I had ignored one for so long.

I’m starting to feel that how I see people is defined by the place culture has assigned me rather than by what God has called me to.

The world says, stay inside, lock the doors, safe your life

God says, go out, feed the poor, lose you life.

The world says I have a higher place

Jesus calls me to take the lowest one

I’m starting to feel a little bit of what that looks like and it scares me but it also stirs love in my heart. Pray that God will give me his eyes to see the world this week.

2 comments:

  1. this is rad james. i've been thinking a lot lately about having brand new eyes... these stories are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Concept James, I am going to ponder that one for a while

    ReplyDelete